Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Upheaval in Kenya

It makes me so sad to report that the elections in Kenya went so horribly. I knew the race was going to be close; I knew nearly everyone in the country had a strong opinion and that those opinions were usually drawn along tribal lines; I knew people were worried about rigging at the polls and sabotage; but, I also knew that…

-Kenyan Christians had been praying for months for peaceful elections
-Good Luou and Luya friends of mine, and good Kikuyu friends of mine were casting their votes for opposing candidates, but they were all praying and hoping for a peaceful election
-In my mind, Kenyans had a maturity about them that not all African countries currently demonstrate – Though tribalism is a tangible issue, I never imagined it would be cause for violence and murder here
My assumption that the election would pass smoothly was probably the result of some naiveté, partly because I was only in Kenya for seven weeks, and partly because I spent almost all that time in a large city, and large cities are known for blurring the lines a little between tribal classifications and prejudices; urban life usually gets people to mesh a little, to live life in closer proximity and so dislike each other a little less.

It is a little unreal to read the names of places that I have been in the newspaper, to hear that horrible things have taken place there – Kibera, Mathare, Kisumu, Eldoret, and rallies at Uhuru Park. I am upset about the current state of things, praying for resolution, and frankly was feeling anger at both Raila and Kibaki. It is pretty evident that both men sabotaged the polls, and they are refusing to cease their stubbornness for the sake of saving their countrymen’s lives. A little less power tripping, and a little more love for the Kenyan people would be a brilliant way, a necessary step, towards resolution.

Praise God that all my friends are safe. Pastor Josphat and his church are really struggling financially. Their church was not burned, but the Pastor has welcomed many congregants fleeing the violence into his home, which is outside Kibera, and his family is struggling to cover these costs. My main concern right now is that I have no word about the girl I sponsor, Purity. Purity is a Kikuyu and she lives in Mathare slums, the worst hotbed of violence against Kikuyus in Nairobi. I am hoping and praying that she does not live in a particularly harsh neighborhood in Mathare.

No comments: