Saturday, December 22, 2007

God's goodness through a medley of experiences!

What a mixture of experiences this past week has brought! And I must first thank you all for your prayers as I traveled to Bungomo district, Western province last weekend.

My friend, Ruth, and I left on Thursday, taking a 9-hour bumpy bus ride (and when I say bumpy, I mean, throwing you around the seat row, causing you to involuntarily jump up and down every couple minutes kind of bumpy!) to her home district. Her mother and 6 siblings and uncle and neighbors gave me a royal welcome. It was dark by the time we arrived, but we ate and sang by kerosene lamp.

Her village is called Napara. Grass roof huts are scattered across the farm fields - maize, tomatoes, cassava, and sunflowers everywhere and such friendly, welcoming people. There definitely were no other muzungus in sight!

I had the opportunity to attend a wedding in Malaba (near the Ugandan border), where I met a Rwandan pastor that Ted and I may meet up with in Kigali. I rode on motorcycles (as a passenger, not a driver!), bicycle taxis, and even milked a cow.

Ruth's family was so generous. Her mother is such a strong, God-fearing woman. Maktilda is her name, and she ensured that we got home safely on the night bus, by her persistent prayers and by helping us onto the motor-taxi.

That evening alone was a string of answered prayers! We had a tricky time getting to the bus stage in Bungomo, and we really believed we had missed the only shuttle back - but God had one waiting right there for us; and the fare was cheaper than ever, and Ruth's pastor had even sent a friend to make sure we got on the bus safely! Oh, it was so good.

And now, I am in my last 2 days of being in Kenya. Wow This time has been so rich. It has gone by much faster than I anticipated. Ted has now arrived (sweeet). It is great, and so different to have a familiar face around consistently! I am so thankful for his safe arrival, and for the great 3 days we've had so far, visiting his peace corps friend from Davis, Rachel, visiting the Somalian refugee neighborhood in Nairobi (it really felt like we had traveled out of country!), and exploring new parts of Kibera and it's bordering posh neighborhoods.

The second phase of my time in Africa has officially begun! I thank God, and am thankful for you all too! :)

Much love,
Katharine

* The Sierra Leone Servant Team is approaching as well ... I am excited, and keeping certain issues in prayer, such as Visa applications, etc. I am anxious to share more of what I'm learning about our team's mission and goal there. I just finished reading "Blood Diamonds" for our pre-trip assignments, and I highly recommend it, for a picture of the horrific civil war and what caused it in Sierra Leone.
* I'll write again soon; g'night to you all!
(picture: me and my friend Ruth)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kath...

I'm so excited when I read your blogs. It seems like it's been an amazing journey.

Have a wonderful Christmas there. How awesome is it to experience Christmas in such a way! May God continue to keep you safe & may u be a blessing to whomever u meet there.

You'll be in my prayers! =) *HuGz*

Williana

Jessica Joy said...

merry christmas katharine!!! my roomates and i are praying for you together. i was just telling my family today how much i love you b/c you know how to keep jesus at the center of your ministry even while experiencing all that you are (especially while you're experiencing what you're experiencing!) press on!

Kristen said...

Merry Christmas! We will keep you and Ted in our prayers for a safe journey and will keep you in our thoughts on Christmas day. You are an amazing young woman, Katherine!

Cousin Kristen

Noemma said...

How was your Christmas, Katharine?! It's so fun reading your blogs...it sounds so life-changing!

Unknown said...

Katherine,

I feel like I am sitting beside you on the bus, the motorcycle, milking the cow, staying in the small village and on and on. Thank you for making it my experience as well. Your words are my eyes! I will pray for your VISA for Sierra Leone and always for your safety, your energy, courage, faith and yes...to have a good time with Ted!

Blessings and Peace,

Kathy