Wednesday, November 21, 2007

... new experiences ...

* On Sunday I walked an hour and a half to Word Fellowship Centre in Kibera, in gum boots! Gum boots are what we call rain boots, and they are essential here as the mud is sooo sloppy and sticky after rain. However, it was not raining that morning. It's usually muddy in Kibera anyways, so that's why I wore them ... however, I will not do that again.

(Oh, and the reason I walked ... I didn't have any change for a matatu!)

* I love Kenyan food. I haven't had so much as a stomach ache since I've been here. I even feel better than I usually do in the States because of all the fresh vegetables (and perhaps lack of dairy and lots of meat) in the Kenyan diet. YUM. I honestly never knew veggies could be so delicious.

* My favorite swahili word = skumaweekee. It is this spinach-like plant that is super popular and was grown all over Waithaka.

* I learned my first day here that "kiswahili" is simply the word for swahili in kiswahili! Ok, I know I'm not the only one that was ignorant of this, because I asked many of you if you knew the difference between the two before I left! ;)

* Taking a shower/bath with just a bucket of water is kinda fun! Well, at least when the climate, and bucket of water, is warm. Some of you that did the slums track at Urbana may have had a more rustic experience.

* I am called muzungu wherever I go – usually by little children. On my way to the Kibera church on Sunday morning, 5 children literally flew out of their home and ran towards the street, jumping up and down and exclaiming, “Muzungu! Muzungu!” Very cute! haha. I'm glad I can add something interesting to their day without actually doing anything spectacular. :)

No comments: